Monday, April 21, 2014

Ben's Birthday

Every year mid-March to mid-April is a little crazy. 
 With taxes and Kinley's birthday and Ben's birthday only 5 days later...he usually makes lots of sacrifices. 
He is keeping the kids a lot more so I can work. 
 He is not celebrated like he should be because we are exhausted from celebrating Kinley. 
 But, he doesn't complain. 
 He has never been much a birthday person and does not really like to be celebrated or the center of attention. 
 But, this year he turned 30! 
 A milestone for anyone but, a big milestone for us. Ben turning 30 has always marked a half-way point for us. 
 I met and started dating Ben when he was 15...so, when he turned 30, I have now known him half of his life. From this year on, he will always have spent more years together with me than without me. 
 It is pretty cool. 
 So, I knew I wanted him to feel really celebrated. 

 We started with a small, family celebration at his parents house with our families and the Reads. It was such a fun time with family and just being together. Just what Ben would choose. Everyone came and we celebrated and stayed way too late. Kinley finally passed out on the couch watching a show but Ty stayed up till at least 11 with us just playing and laughing and happy as can be. 
 Around 10pm we sang happy birthday and I was glad Ty was awake to join us but, was sad Kinley missed it.
  IMG_0265 
We celebrated with my parents one weekend when Bart & Olivia were in town and he TOTALLY scored from my family by getting new skis, boots, poles, bindings and a helmet.  And Mendy & Alex got him new goggles.  Now if only I wasn't pregnant and we could run off and go skiing right now!
IMG_0725
We had our family celebrations early because we had a kid-less birthday weekend planned also.  (More on that soon!)

I wanted this birthday round to be more about HIM than ever.
 Throughout our move, and tax season, and early pregnancy, and Kinley's birthday...I just tried to gather ideas about 30 things I could get him for his birthday.
 It turns out 30 things is a lot. 
It's kind of hard and expensive to buy 30 separate gifts.
 But, I was determined.
 The night before his birthday we celebrated at home as a family. First we went out for a hibachi/sushi dinner then we sang Happy Birthday and ate cake and he opened his 30 things....with lots of help.
IMG_0438 IMG_0434 IMG_0423 IMG_0442 IMG_0465 Some of his 30 things were gifts to open (i.e. jeans, cologne, new tennis shoes, jack black bath products), some were envelopes with date nights (top golf, a steak dinner movie night), some were gift cards (for a real haircut and shave, to go hunting for a weekend, to sleep in late without me complaining) and some were family nights planned (rangers game, family night of putt-putt).

 If you don't know Ben, one thing people always comment about is how thankful he is when he opens a gift. He always act like everything he opens is the greatest thing he ever has opened. It's like every time he opens something he is thankful and surprised that someone thought enough about him to get him something.
 Well, he was like that the whole time. With every single thing he opened he was so thankful and saying how he needed that or has always wanted that or how thoughtful it was.
 It is so fun to give him things.
 I think his favorites were: an American flag to hang outside at our new house, lululemon core shorts (he is obsessed) and his last envelope.

 His 30th thing to open was a large envelope filled with little envelopes with a reason written on the front why I love him and a picture inside representing that. So, that is what I am putting below. This is super sappy but, so true.
 Happy 30th Birthday to my man. I love you with all that I am and could not have picked a better person on earth to walk this life together with. I am so excited for the next 30 years together.
 I love you because:
 1) Because you married me photo-126
2) Because your brother is your best friend IMG_5159 3) Because you love all my family so much
IMG_0976 4) Because you always help me with my crazy projects
IMG_4701 5) Because you take me on weekend gettaways
IMG_4664 6) Because you support my Aggie love
IMG_3003 7) Because you kiss me anytime, anywhere
DSC_9964_3481 8) Because you were born in St. Louis, but are so proud to be a Texan
IMG_3990 copy
9) Because you respect and make time for older, wiser examples in your life
IMG_4189 10) Because you knock me up when we just talk about it
IMG_7792
11) Because you are so excited about every gift you receive
IMG_9028 12) Because you show our kids how to support their mom in all her adventures
IMG_8594
13) Because you will teach our kids how to fish and hunt
IMG_1808
 14) Because when you set your mind to something...it happens
IMG_8845 15) Because you are the BEST dad and love our kids so, so much
DSC_9820_3337 IMG_0298 16) Because you are always up for a good time
IMG_9296
17) Because you are smoking hot!
IMG_9304 18) Because you work so hard to support our family so I can be home mostly and be with our kids
IMG_6640 19) Because you are passionate about the outdoors
IMG_9139 20) Because you show Kinley how a she should be treated
IMG_2566
21) Because you are an incredible Godly man and leader for our family
  IMG_7253-2 copy 22) Because you clean up nice and make me look good!
IMG_0469
23) Because you can make me laugh harder than anyone else
  IMG_7661 24) Because your favorite place to be is relaxing with your family
  IMG_3784 25) Because you love Bull's Ranch
IMG_5279
26) Because you love every single person in your life like family and like Jesus does
  IMG_5051 27) Because you played Baseball and still love watching a game
IMG_3196 28) Because you always share your birthday and always let our kids blow out the candles
  IMG_1530 29) Because you love the lake and the beach and all things water
IMG_2422 30) Because you so selflessly love our family
DSC_0449
Happy 30th Birthday Ben! I am so glad we could celebrate you BIG this year.
Ben's party pics coming soon!

1 comment:

kristen said...

happy birthday ben! love you and your sweet sweet family and wife so so much! this post is so beautiful linds~ I love every gift and every picture!